Pages

Sunday 27 May 2012

Dressy.

So, this is what we came up with to wear to the 18th birthday party last night:


When you have four children who need to be fed and watered and pyjamed up before you can even think about getting ready in the five minutes that you have left, it pays to choose exactly what you are going to wear in advance.  Otherwise it would no doubt end up being the bathrobe and ugh boots. Not a good look.

When I say that I bought the jacket in Paris it is code and means that it has been in my wardrobe for a while, as I haven't been to Paris for eighteen long months. Sigh. This jacket came from a shop in a street somewhere between Au Printemps and Boulevarde des Capucines and is leather with 3/4 length sleeves and a black satin ribbon that ties in a bow under the collar.

The skirt is ostrich feather By Malene Birger that I bought online from Net - A - Porter earlier in the year to wear to the Glover Prize opening. This is what it looks like close up:


Needless to say it looks seductively tactile, you have to resist the urge to pat it. If you think this is the look you might want, then good news! This skirt has been drastically reduced and is now available online at The Outnet.

Alexandrie ostrich feather-trimmed mini skirt by By Malene Birger
No sooner did we get to the party that I started coveting a dress being worn by someone else. It was a ravishing concoction of layers of white tulle, with black velvet bows on the shoulders. And it was being worn by an eighteen month old:


Isn't it utterly gorgeous? When I started raving my praise to whoever would listen, people thought I had designs on it for my own eighteen month old, yet I would like one just like it.....for me.

It was a fab party and I loved every minute of it. Look at the delicious food:





There were even two lads in the kitchen who did all the work:


Now prepare yourselves for the piece de la resistance.......the cake:


Wasn't it absolutely stunning? It was a real Marie Antoinette, let them eat cake, cake.

Thank you to everyone from whom I managed to elicit a comment! Happy days. It would appear that to attract followers I needed to add a link. Oops. Now that it's there (I think) don't hold back!
R

22 comments:

  1. No it's not ! Thanks anyway for becoming a follower on my blog ! I'll be back to reciprocate ! Extraordinary skirt !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luff the skirt! The cake and baby frock are 11/10 too. Malene never gets it wrong. Have you been to her flagship shoppe in Marylebone high St? Bliss. And handy to waitrose and Paul x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately haven't been there. Last time I was in London (almost 2 years ago) I was really quite pregnant and had 3 children and husband in tow. Spent most of our time trying to coerce then two year old that it wasn't a good idea to get nude in the Princess Diana Memorial Playground. Did have a nanny for a day and flocked up in beautiful flowery Collette Dinnigan that I had bought especially in Sydney and went and had a day in the enclosure at Henley. If only rowing in Tasmania were anywhere near as glam! Rx

      Delete
  3. I love your skirt also.

    And I have also been in the slightly deranged position of envying clothes of someone much much younger than me. Children's clothes are so nice these days aren't they. I bought a lace\tulle layered skirt from Zara a few months back, put it in and said to myself 'who am I trying to kid' and gave it to my 9 year old daughter. It suits her to a T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Both of my girls (nearly 11 years and 18 months) sported tulle skirts while shopping in Melbourne today. I bet your nine year old looks gorgeous in hers! Rx

      Delete
  4. ps you should put a follower widget on your side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just come to your blog from Faux Fuschia and enjoyed reading your reflections. Very funny and although I think I am quite a bit older than you, I could relate to lots of what you were writing about. Keep blogging and I will keep visiting! Best wishes, LJD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I'll look forward to seeing you again! Rx

      Delete
  6. Hi Romy! I love the skirt and would love to follow you... but as Jane said there is no followers thing! I tried to work out how to follow you using google reader but couldn't do it! Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma! Hallelujah! I think I just found the followers thing yet to my shame it exposes me as one of my 3 followers.......when in reality it was my husband trying to join......it's true! Rx

      Delete
  7. Thanks for stopping by so I could find your fabulous blog. You have four kids? You look amazing. Loving that feathery skirt on you- just so totally fabulous as is the bubs and the fancy cake. (And I need some of those likely lads in my kitchen now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....yes I have FOUR children.....and nurse an addiction to Bikram Yoga which helps to keep my mind and body on track (most of the time)! Rx

      Delete
  8. Hi there, still no link on the right hand side - will be back to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spent last night on Spirit of Tasmania with the family! Just arrived in Melbourne & trying to find the button? Help! Not sure exactly what I'm looking for......all tricky blog info appreciated.......Rx

      Delete
  9. Just come for a visit via FF's blog - I like what I see. Will keep coming back!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the skirt. It looks fab on you. I also admire your dedication to Bikram. I'm far to scared to do it - I have low blood pressure and tend to faint fairly easily (that makes me sound like some sort of insipid Victorian type, doesn't it!) so I'm fairly certain that I'd not make it through a class. It's nice to find some calm and time for you amidst the chaos of children though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Once upon a time I was scared too.....I spent part of my childhood sweltering in tropical SE Asia and then had too many memories of fainting during school choir concerts in hot, humid Sydney summers ....surprisingly I've never keeled over in class though. Most days I wonder why I choose to spend the time I have to myself sweating in a hot room and contorting myself into a pretzel. I wouldn't do it though if it wasn't incredibly good for the body and soul.....and with four children I need to work on both of those aspects. Rx

      Delete
  11. If you go to the settings, on "add a new gadget", on your left there will be a "followers" application. Click on that and it will appear on your side bar ; my explanations may be a bit vague because my page is in French, but hopefully this will help. Thanks for your e-mail, it was my first for the blog ! Now, if you could ewplain to me how you get that "reply" application after the comments, I would be so grateful ; I haven't been able to put it on my blog and it drives me crazy !!! Did you enjoy all the comments ? XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! This time I think I found the "followers" button. Regarding the "reply" application for the comments, I "view blog" at the control panel and then click on "comments" and from there you can "reply" to comments. Hope this helps as I'm afraid that my French might not be quite up to it......although can help with Caesarian and breast feeding vocab.......Rx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mummy your so funny somtimes and guess what I am going read it more regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's alive, it's alive ! You've got your followers button ! Congrats !
    And oh, this is funny about Caesarian (well, not for you, I guess), though I have to say : "no, thank you" ! And as for breastfeeding, been there, done that ... in English !! Ah, the joy of being cosmopolitan girls !!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing your thoughts! Rx