Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Library.

I have been trying to drag out the memories of our amazing trip to India back in November not only with Indian food, but also with Indian literature.

I'm ashamed to admit that over the last three weeks I have been chipping away at this tome yet am still not even half way through:


I'm starting to loose track of who's who and that is a tad of a bad thing as I still have so far to go. While I'm really enjoying some of the characters and genuinely wondering who will Lata Mehra marry, I'm finding some of the characters tediously boring.

As usual, I have been using the State Library of Tasmania online catalogue to feed my book fetish. It is the best thing for book addicts and it's free except that we have to pay the mortgage and the rates and the water and the electricity etc etc on our address.

If you haven't tried it this is how it works. All you need is a library card and then you can place holds on books as you find them on the online catalogue. Don't think that you need to be restricted to just books, they also have vast collections of DVD's and CD's. Magically, they will then find it from any library around the state and email you as soon as it arrives. Even better, they will hold it for you with your name on it, on shelves especially for that purpose, so that you can just drop in and pick it up.

So today I led an expedition to the Library itself to pick up the books I have on hold. My children consider a trip to the Library to be one of the biggest treats - right up there with an outing to the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery.

After picking up my holds I then had a trawl around the shelves and found these magazines (for that elusive time when I get to sit around and drink tea):


I was curious about Traveller magazine, having never spent money to take it home. This issues headlines shouted 'Hobart: Could it be the next cultural capital?' Could it? Good news - now that we have MONA and the Henry Jones Art Hotel the journalist who wrote the article thinks that in time it could be.

Anyway, time for a quick read before bed.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing your thoughts! Rx