Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

School.

Back again. All I can say is phew now that three of my children are happily ensconced back at school. Mimi on Monday:


And both boys today:



Don't be fooled into thinking that there has been any relief for me. As if. The last two days have been entirely dedicated  to getting Camelia all set for her one day a week at creche. To set foot through the front door she needs a number from the Family Assistance Office. On Friday I discovered that being born overseas meant that she didn't have one. Oh the sordid mess of paperwork, gruelling online forms and visits to the Family Assistance Office that I have had to endure. Fingers crossed the promised number is in the mail.

Look how amazing 50 lit birthday candles look:



We contributed the stack of birthday brownie to Kim's brother's birthday party although it's hard to see below the flames. Birthday brownie is easier to make than a cake and memorably good. I swear by Nigella's recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess:

*Put 375g unsalted butter and 375g dark chocolate (for best results use Callebaut dark or anything 75% cocoa solids) in a pyrex bowl and nuke in microwave for 2 minutes or until melted. Mix. Leave momentarily to cool.

*Beat together 6 eggs, teaspoon vanilla extract and 500g caster sugar. Add chocolate mixture and 225g plain flour, pinch salt and 300g chopped walnuts.

*Pour into lined rectangular baking tin and bake for about 25 minutes in 180 degree oven.You don't want them to be neither too googey nor too dry. Leave to cool and then cut into pieces.

As school is back, here's a handy hint - I usually make this for my children to take to school on their birthdays and because of the draconian nut policies at school I replace the walnuts with 300g chopped dark, milk or white chocolate. The best thing about making this instead of a cake is that you can keep some at home. OK, I've finished channelling Marjorie Bligh for tonight.

R

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing your thoughts! Rx